We want you to have the best tattoo experience when you come into Get Fat Brooklyn, so we’ve got some suggestions to help get you ready for your session.
- The night before your appointment: Be sure to get plenty of rest and avoid any heavy drinking. Even if you’re not hungover, your blood will be thinner as a result, which will lead to more bleeding. Plus, you’ll have a harder time sitting for your session.
- The day of your appointment: Be sure to eat before you come in for your session and drink plenty of water. This will help keep you from getting lightheaded and will allow you to sit longer, and more comfortably, while you’re being tattooed.
- Dress to provide access: Consider where you’re getting tattooed when you decide what to wear on the day of your session. Make sure to either have something on that will allow us to easily get to your skin, or bring a change of clothing with you.
- Changed your mind about your design? Please notify Get Fat Brooklyn at least 48 hours prior to your appointment to ensure your artist has time to prepare the drawing for your tattoo session. (Note: If your change is drastically different from the original design, we may need to reschedule your appointment, even if you let us know 48 hours ahead of time.)
- Want to bring a friend to sit with you? Feel free to invite one friend for moral support during your session, but remember: to give you the best tattoo, we’ll need you to sit very still. So, if you tend to talk with your hands or your pal’s really funny, you may want to reconsider. All guests must remain in the front waiting area.
Once you’ve gotten your tattoo, it’s important that you take care of it to make sure it heals well and looks as great as it’s meant to. Your artist will give you specific care instructions as you leave your session, which may vary slightly from what’s below depending on your unique tattoo and the placement of the design. But in case you forget, here are some general guidelines to follow.
- Bandage & Cleaning: Be sure to leave your bandage on for at least 3 hours after your session. Once you remove it, gently clean the area with warm water and unscented soap. Rinse well and pat dry with a paper towel before applying a super thin layer of Aquaphor Healing Ointment to the area.
- Days 1 & 2—Aquaphor Ointment: Continue to use Aquaphor for two days after your tattoo session. Apply a thin layer each morning after your shower and again before you go to bed. Using too much tends to keep the area from “breathing” and slows the healing process.
- Day 3 & Beyond: Switch from using Aquaphor to a non-scented hand lotion and continue to use it daily until your tattoo heals. The healing process usually takes 2-4 weeks before it’s totally done.
- The Healing Process: While your tattoo heals, the area will itch and flake/peel. This is totally normal and to be expected. It’s important that you DO NOT SCRATCH OR PICK your new tattoo! We know it’s super tempting, but if you peel pieces off, you may also remove ink, leading to a blotchy tattoo. Let the skin flake off naturally for best results.
- The Big No-No’s: While your tattoo is healing, avoid sun, swimming and soaking for at least three weeks after your session. Once it’s totally healed, be sure to always use sun protection to keep your tattoo from fading. (Plus, it’s a good idea to use sunscreen, anyway.)
Have any other questions before or after your session? Don’t hesitate to reach out to us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 718-389-8288.